Monday, March 19, 2018

Cuccos, Combat, and Cotera

*screeching noises*
As night falls, Mellie finally begins to meander back to her home for the evening. I wait until she is out of my eyeline before I casually walk over and hop the fence. I don’t get yelled at by anyone, so I quickly grab the final cucco and toss him over. I climb back over myself, grab him one more time, and throw him in the pen to join his friends. I turn to speak to Cado and he rewards me with a Purple Rupee as my reward. You know I kind of figured I’d have to get him and his ex back together. Guess they’re happier apart!

Let's go clear that shrine! I head back up the path into the mountains, and walk right one to the shrine. I can see that the path goes even deeper, into a forested area. We’ll get to that next. I activate and enter the shrine.

Ta’loh Naeg’s Teaching

    ~Ta’loh Naeg Shrine~

As I'm lowered into the shrine, I can immediately tell something about this one is different. The room ahead of me is exactly that - a large, open room. Just inside the entrance are two chests, one on each side. Opening them gets me an Eightfold Blade and a Shield of the Mind’s Eye - two pieces of Sheikah forged equipment. Pretty strong, too.

Uh...Do Asimov's Laws of Robotics exist here?
Walking closer to the center of the room activates a platform, rising from a large hole in the center. It’s got a passenger - a Guardian Scout. I’m not sure if it’s bigger than the others I’ve seen or I’m just imagining it. But it is definitely tougher, and I watch as an arm extends from its neck with a glowing blue sword at the end. Uh oh.

Before the robot has a chance to attack, Ta’loh Naeg speaks to me again, imparting information about dodging enemy attacks. Then, an information window pops up detailing the buttons to press. It’s a combat tutorial! I lock onto the enemy and give a few test hops to each side as the scout draws closer. If I wait until the last minute before jumping, time slows and I have a chance to make a Flurry Rush, raining multiple blows down in quick succession.

After I complete my first flurry attack, Ta’loh Naeg speaks once again as the guardian remains still. This time he has information on backflips. If I once again wait until the last second to dodge, I can unleash another Flurry Rush. But even after that, the Guardian is STILL standing.

Ta’loh next imparts information about using my shield to knock back an enemy's attack, leaving an opening for me to make - you guessed it - a flurry attack.

Finally, I am taught the classic spin attack. I hold my sword out, charging the energy, before unleashing it and destroying the scout. The gate to the monk and my eighth Spirit Orb opens, also revealing one more chest - this one holding an Opal. I speak with Ta’loh, silently thank him, and exit the shrine one Spirit Orb richer.

It’s day when I exit the shrine. I make to head back to the village to turn in my orbs, but since I’m already here, let’s explore that forest in the hills. As I climb further up, I pass under a few more Sheikah arches. They did make it sound like the Fairy Fountain was back here…

Rabbit thing!!!
A flash of blue has me stopping in my tracks. It’s another one of those rabbit-looking sprites I first saw near the Dueling Peaks Stable in the forest. It hasn’t noticed me yet, so I crouch down and pull out my bow. Inching just a little closer, I loose an arrow and hit it. Rather then kill it, rupees fly everywhere and the rabbit takes off. I try to land another shot but miss, and he vanishes. Still, I pick up my loot, knowing what I need to do the next time I see my luminescent furry friend.

Great Fairy Fountain

I wander further into the forest, unsure of what exactly it is I’m looking for. The map has two lakes in the forest, one in the north and a larger one to the south with a bridge over it. I head north first, and I soon see something unexpected - which is what I expected. It is a large green plant pod, that seemingly has yet to bloom. It sits in the middle of the northern lake, which is really more of a pond. There are a lot of Blue Nightshade plants around, so I stock up while I can.

...This feels like a scam.
As I approach the pod cautiously I see floating pink orbs with wings. Fairies! Resembling the ones from Ocarina of Time, there are a number of them all floating around the plant. I very careful tiptoe around, gathering up a few, no bottles needed this time around. I must be in the right place. A ramp sits on the side of the pod, made up of orange mushrooms, allowing me to walk up to it. Examining the pod triggers whomever is inside to begin speaking to me.

It’s a Great Fairy! My first one of the game, Cotera, and she needs rupees. When travelers would come by they would make offerings to her which is what granted her power, but since the Calamity… In any event, she says she can help me, but she needs 100 rupees first. It feels like there’s a bad message here about greed and the power of money. Or maybe it’s a good message about economics. Either way, I want the help.
Ohmygod she's fabulous and I love her

The cutscene that follows is very…suggestive. There’s a lot of moaning and squealing, talks of power and how it’s overflowing...but the plant encasing Cotera blooms into a large glowing flower with a pool in the middle. The Great Fairy herself bursts from the water, her head being nearly larger than Link’s entire body. She looks like one of the most beautiful drag queens I have ever seen. And that’s not a read, she’s lovely.

She has the power to upgrade my armor! She uses some of the ingredients I've gathered, each piece requiring a specific recipe. I can only upgrade my Hylian gear at the moment, it seems. She also tells me about set bonuses, and mentions that if I restore the powers of her sisters she can upgrade me even further. More fairies to find!

I'll let you make the joke about blowing. Low hanging fruit.
There’s not much else to do here, so I explore the rest of the forest. There’s a valley leading out to the East, but it leads off the map so I’m not gonna head that way yet. I head south for the other lake and find what looks like a shrine platform, one of the places you would place an orb. Maybe Impa and Paya’s heirloom? I gather a few more ingredients, and shoot another one of those blue rabbit things before heading back to town.

I leap from the clifftop and float down to the town center, making a beeline for the Goddess Statue. I speak to her, and choose to upgrade my health bar again. Still too squishy. I think I want at least 6 hearts before I start upgrading stamina. I watch as the ornate heart drops from the sky. Do you think anyone else sees this, or is it all in Link’s head?
PARKOUR!

I decide to take another lap around the town, speaking with everyone, before I head out for Hateno Village. Most of the town’s people seem to be going about with their daily lives, and there’s still no way for me to get that heirloom from Impa. I’m just about to leave when I notice a child near the produce shop with a quest marker over her head.

Damnit. Guess I better help this kid.


Heart Containers: 5
Shrines Cleared: 8
Koroks Found: 18
Cuccos Captures: 10 (finally)
Drag QueensGreat Fairies Met: 1
Laws of Robotics: Ignored

No comments:

Post a Comment