Monday, March 12, 2018

Cucco for Cado-puffs

I figure if I need to, I can use the Shrine Sensor to help locate it. Just next to the Goddess Statue and looking at Impa’s house is a painter, Pikango, who seems to be the outsider mentioned in the Journal of Various Worries. In typical Nintendo fashion, his hair also resembles a paintbrush. He tells me he is not from the village, hence people’s suspicion, and also mentioned a Great Fairy somewhere near the village. I watch him for a few moments as he takes in the view ahead of him before moving his brush to the canvas. His art style is...charming? I’m sure someone will want to hang it...on their fridge.

So are the people buried vertically, or...?
A path to the north of Impa’s brings me to the infamous Kakariko Graveyard. It’s not nearly as large or detailed as it’s past iterations, but still pretty creepy. Probably gonna be some kind of quest that happens here. I look out over a cliff into the Hyrule wilderness for a moment. Still so much to explore. Oooooo and behind this tree is an Iron Sledgehammer. According to the description, these are actually used for mining, so I'm gonna see if this isn't any more effective then using Remote Bombs.

Headed back up the way I came, I’m heckled by a girl standing outside. Lasli works as the Hylian equivalent of one of those twirling sign people, attracting customers to the town’s armor shop, Enchanted. She is also as thirsty for Link as Rola was. Walking inside, I examine the different pieces of clothing as they sit on their mannequins. I see the shirt and hood that go with the pair of pants I found on the plateau, and they actually look pretty nifty, and I also see a special Sheikah Armor set. It resembles Sheik’s outfit from Ocarina of Time, and according to the description will help with stealth. However, it’s not cheap. I go ahead and buy the Hylian Tunic, the hood is nice but doesn’t add any extra defense from what I have. Still, I’ll be back before long for the rest.

WERK
A final thing of note is another book on the counter. Titled Rumor Mill, Vol. 1, it was written by someone named Traysi and details a location called the “Lover’s Pond.” It is said that if people find this pond, they will also find their true love.

...okay? That’s it? No quest or anything? That’s not even a full page how is this the first volume in a series of books. Whatever.

Across from Enchanted is Cado’s house! He is definitely “The Bow Master” from the Journal of Various Worries. And uh...I really don’t blame his wife for leaving. His wall is just...covered in drawings of Cuccos. Just outside the house I find the hutch, three Cuccos, and Cado himself. Uh oh. I see where this is going.

...Dude you gotta get out more.
Cado has lost some of his Cuccos. Because of course he did. It’s Kakariko Village. Really, I should have seen this coming. There are 10 of them located in the village, 3 are already i the coop, and I need to bring the rest back here. Sure man. I’m pretty sure I’ve already seen a couple anyway.

Flown the Coop

I’m exploring the town anyway, so I might as well keep a lookout for these birds while I’m at it. I go ahead and backtrack down to Impa’s and the Goddess statue, and find a single Cucco wandering by a fire. I scoop him up, and as he screams and flails wildly, take him back to his home and chuck him in. One down.

I DON'T LIKE THIS ANYMORE THEN YOU DO, BIRD
I continue to explore the village, keeping my eyes peeled for more Cuccos. Just east of Enchanted is a pumpkin patch run by Olkin. These are the Fortified Pumpkins that Steen won’t allow Trissa to sell in her shop! Olkin doesn’t seem to mind though, and he gives me one of his pumpkins after chatting.

Deeper into the town I find a campfire, and another Cucco next to a small shed. After tossing him in the coop, I come back to explore...a lot of empty buildings? I guess people gotta work, and also not everyone wants to live in their place of business. Again I am impressed by how alive this world feels.
*R. Kelly begins to play*

I pass over a field of carrots that I can examine, but cannot harvest. Must be Steen’s nearby and within another shed structure, another Cucco! I drop him off with his friends.

I’m near the entrance of the village when I find the fourth, and on my way to drop him off I see a path up into the mountains behind the village. And hey, not only do I find another one of my feathered friends, but I can see the shrine off in the distance as well. Actually, we’re right above Cado’s home. Rather than just grabbing him and dropping him in though, I spot another Cucco across the way, on top of the armor shop.

I could probably use my own para-glider for this, but…

GOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
Half the fun of these birds is using them to float around. Lucky for me, in this game Cucco’s still act like hang gliders, so I use the little guy I just scooped up to float over to that rooftop. Then from there I pick up, take aim, and chuck both of them into their pen. That’s 9! Only have to find one more.

After searching a few more empty homes, I finally spot him. He's just wandering around in a fenced off area with some pink-leaved trees. I soon learn that they are plum trees, because the old lady who planted them, Mellie, yells at me the second I step on the other side of the fence. Look lady, I'm not trying to mess up your trees okay, I just want to get that VERY OBVIOUS CHICKEN WANDERING AROUND INSIDE. How come he's allowed in there. but I'm not?
Don't mind me. Not plotting anything suspicious or anything.

No matter what I do, as soon as Link’s feet hit the ground she gets angry and kicks me out. The trees were planted by Impa on the day she was born, she tells me, and so they are very precious to her. Also she mentions something about the Sheikah consider plums the "silent guardians" of their village. What? In any case, I can’t get the last Cucco. Yet.

That’s fine Mellie. I can wait. You can’t watch your precious plum trees forever.


Heart Containers: 4
Shrines Completed: 7
Koroks Found: 18
New Armor Purchased: Fashionable
Cuccos Captured: 10 9
Old Lady's Murdered: 0. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment