Monday, June 11, 2018

Cooking & Homeownership: A Lesson in Hylian Home Economics

I enter Ventest Clothing and it’s exactly what it should be on the inside - a clothing store. I see a another full set of Hylian Armor, also on sale here. There’s also a Warm Doublet - useful for anyone who didn’t figure out the riddle on the Great Plateau. However, I already own all of those. Why I don’t own is this set of Soldier’s Armor in the back. Each piece has a pretty decent defense rating - and I’m betting taking it to Cotera will make it even higher.

I have just enough money to buy the whole set - gonna need to do some mining soon - but I don’t see a shop attendant anywhere. I mean it’s not like you have to take the clothes up to the register but still, seems weird.
We all do things to help us feel more confident. Stand in
corners, put on plate armor...

AH! There’s a person in here! Oh. It’s Sophie, Seldon’s daughter. She’s a quiet thing hiding in a corner of the shop. Totally missed her on my way in. I go ahead and buy the full set and try it on. Looks soldier-y. I’m not used to Link wearing a full set of armor like that. It’s also very loud, so the opposite of the Sheikah set. When I finish shopping I head to the front of the store and speak with Sophie.

I ask her about why she’s hiding in the corner over here. She says it makes her feel more confident. She also acknowledges that it’s weird. I bet having Seldon for a dad does that to you. Probably sucked out all her social energy for his tour guide hobby. Tsk.

I exit the shop and head across the street to East Wind, the general store. I say hi to Ivee again as I head in, where I meet her little brother Azu and her father Pruce, the proprietor of the shop. Azu runs outside to play with the other children while I wander into the store. It’s similar to the general store in Kakariko, having various ingredients for sale. And no gross Bokoblin Guts this time. It also doubles as the arrow shop - I’m guessing this peaceful town doesn’t have much use for one.

Fresh out of 'blin bits. Damn.
Exploring more of the shop, I see next to the door and the stairs a poster. It appears to be a recipe. The finished dish is at the top (Mushroom Rice Balls) and the ingredients along the bottom (Rock Salt, a Hylian Shroom, and some Hylian Rice). That’s pretty cool. More recipes!

I head upstairs to the second floors, which is where the Pruce and his family’s sleeping quarters are. I see a three beds, presumably for him and his two children, and on the bedside table next to one of them is a diary. Nope, wait, not a diary - it’s Ivee’s Recipe Book. Inside, she details how to make three different dishes.

First is Mushroom Risotto, which calls for one bundle of Hylian Rice, one serving of Goat Butter, a few Hylian Shrooms, and a little Rock Salt. She also notes that if you replace the mushrooms with a Hearty Salmon you can make a fish-lover’s dish. Her second recipe is for Poultry Pilaf. A few Raw Bird Drumsticks, then a few more (that what she wrote, I’m just transcribing here people), a little Goat Butter, a “suitable amount” of Hylian Rice, and a few Bird Eggs. Since you are limited to 5 ingredients, I’m guessing you want to just pick one of each instead of the drumsticks. The last recipe is for Egg Pudding. Take a few Bird Eggs, a few bottles of Fresh Milk, and several servings of Cane Sugar, mix them together, and voila! Pudding.

Neither of you is very good at keeping a secret.
I leave the store, silently thanking Ivee for the food tips. She doesn’t need to know about my snooping. A small ways away from the shop I can see two women conversing. Nikki and Amira are standing next to a booth, carrying what looks laundry, and gossiping. When I attempt to speak with them, I am summarily rebuffed and chastised for ‘eavesdropping.’ Listen bitch, if I wanted to eavesdrop, I would. I literally walked up to you to say hi.

...Goddamnit, now I want to know what they were saying. Luckily I don’t have to try very hard - these women are not very bright. I move to the other side of the booth, where they can’t see me, and listen. Hmm, they’re discussing some young girl who lives in the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab. Hey, that’s where I am heading! They make it sound kinda creepy though, like the girl shouldn’t be there. Guess I’ll find out more later.

Up next I see a pair of children running around and playing, Nebb and Narah. I believe they are Nikki’s children. I can see a resemblance at least, and they all have names that start with N. Nebb actually has a quest for me when I speak to him. This kid is apparently really into weapons and fighting - he wants to know how strong I am. Then he asks if I can “help a kid’s dream come true.” Uh. Is Chris Hansen about to pop out of one of these houses?

 The Weapon Connoisseur

OH! Okay, so his grandfather loved weaponry, but before he passed away there were still a number of them he never got to see. So, Nebb would like me to find the weapons he requests and show them to him, so that when he meets his grandpa again one day he can tell him about them. Aww. That’s sweet. And super creepy. The first weapon he wants is a Traveler’s Sword. Damn, I know I had one before but it has long since been broken. I’ll just have to find another one and bring it back, kid.

I see a bulletin board in the middle of town, but the only thing I read on it is a request to get rid of some monsters down near Hateno Beach. Another quest in town perhaps? Before I continue deeper into town though, I want to finish exploring up by the entrance. The pat Teebo took me on led to some houses and I think I saw a bridge?

This village feels very...domestic.
Wow. There are all model houses, built by Bolson Construction. That’s very modern. I go ahead and enter all three homes. They’re nice, or nice enough for a video game at least. They mostly seem to just b large bedrooms, no kitchens or toilets to speak of. They are all configured a little differently, but maintain the same cube-like shape. One of them even has a balcony.

Just east of the model homes I can see the town’s shrine. I’m assuming every town has one, because most of the inhabited locations I’ve visited seems to have a nearby shrine that acts has a fast travel point for that location. I activate the travel pad on the Myahm Agana Shrine, but I don’t descend just yet. First, I’m gonna see what’s over that bridge.

Another house! Much larger than the model homes, and no cube shapes to speak of. It’s rather run down though, and there even appears to be a man taking a sledgehammer to it. Karson is his name, and he appears to be around Link’s age. Well, minus the 100 years he was asleep at least. He works for Bolson Construction, and they have been tasked with tearing this house down.

I see another Bolson employee, Hudson, doing the same thing to another part of the house. Hudson is an older man, maybe early 40’s, with a very unfortunate haircut. For lack of a better description, it looks like a dick. He doesn’t seem to have much to say, he keeps his sentences straight and to the point. He is an old pro at the construction game, while Karson is still a rookie.

Yaaaaaaaaaaas carpenter daddy.
Then behind the house I meet the man himself - Bolson! He’s fabulous. And I mean that in every sense of the term. He’s wearing pink harem pants, and open jacket with a tiger-stripe collar, and a pink headband. Just talking to him, I can tell this dude is gay. Or at least it’s implied. On the one hand, stereotypes are bad and I hate when LGBT people like myself are subjected to them. On the other he is fucking amazing. I think there is this inherent belief that feminine = bad when it comes to men. Even gay men are obsessed with masculinity. So I am all for a super gay over the top carpenter in this high fantasy setting.

He tells me that they are demolishing this house because it’s been abandoned for 100 years. The previous owner, a knight, went off to fight Ganon when the Calamity struck, and never returned. Hmm, a knight who left to fight Ganon and has been missing for 100 years? Possibly the same soldier that defended Fort Hateno? How interesting. *cough* Anyways, since the building has sat abandoned for a century, the village decided to have it torn down.

I think I see where this is going. Continuing to talk Bolton, I now have an option to say I will buy the house. I mean I don’t have the money right now, but lemme borrow those sledgehammers for a few hours and we’ll be good to go guys. Oooooh shit, maybe not; Bolson says the cost is 50000 rupees. Might need more than just a few hours. And a lot of ore deposits.
So, is this like...the local cruising spot? Anyone got Grindr?

I tell him I don’t have that much, and he sympathizes with me. He will drop the price to 3000 rupees, if I also collect 30 Wood Bundles for him to us in the construction. I’m not sure how 30 bundles of wood is equal to 47000 rupees, but I’m not about to tell this man how to run his business. I agree to his terms, and he tells Karson and Hudson to stop their work immediately. I’m digging the dramatics.

After putting their hammers down, all three of the group congregate to the tree in front of the house with a cooking pot. Do you guys...not have anything else to do?

Aside from loitering on my future lawn, that is.

Heart Containers: 5
Shrines Completed: 10
Koroks Found: 33
New Armor: Loud
New Recipes: Delicious
New Home: Probably isn't up to code

No comments:

Post a Comment