Monday, December 17, 2018

Sunshrooms & Grasshoppers is a Good Name for an Indie Band

Alright, it’s upgrade time! First up is the Sheikah Sensor. I tell Purah that I have the three Ancient Screws she requires, and after giving her a hearty “SNAP!” she unlocks the Guidance Stone in the lab. After inserting the Slate, I receive the first upgrade: the Sheikah Sensor+. What this does is allow me to change the sensor to help me locate any item in the Hyrule Compendium...although that’s empty right now so I’m not sure how useful it is just yet.

Never gets old.
After the upgrade is complete, Symin speaks up, interested in seeing the upgrade himself. Purah asks me to show him once I have a chance. First, let’s take care of the second upgrade: Remote Bombs+! After handing over three Ancient Shafts and another “SNAP!” I insert the Slate into the Guidance Stone again. With this upgrade, my bombs are now stronger and recharge faster.

The final upgrade requires three Ancient Cores and I don’t have any of those. Purah said I can collect parts from the broken down Guardians, but I suspect those I might have to get from the still active ones, as I haven’t found a single one otherwise. Yaaaay. But I bet that Stasis upgrade is worth it. I’ll be back, tiny woman!

With that done for now, I step over to Symin to show him the Sheikah Sensor+. As mentioned when I made the you're, he says that i can use it combination with the Camera rune to track down items. An what better way to learn this then through a side quest?

 Sunshroom Sensing

Well that's just begging to be explored.
Symin wants me to take a picture of a Sunshroom and show it to him. There should be one just behind the lab outside. I step out the back door, bringing me to what looks like a small wheat field these two must use to grow their food. A pitchfork stands against the building nearby. I also notice a winding staircase tucked away behind the now-lit furnace, leading up. The sunshroom isn’t going anywhere, so let’s see what’s upstairs.

On the way up, I take note of several oddities along the way. A lot of cute little world building pieces, telling the story of the tech lab without actually telling you the story. The first thing I notice is the decorated statue placed above the doorway. I didn’t give it much thought before, but now I see that they’ve decorated it, adding glasses that looks like Purah’s and an umbrella. Cute.

Next up is a LARGE telescope. I can’t look through it or interact with it, though there is a comically small ladder I can use without even needing to hit a button. It looks as though it’s pointed west, towards the Great Plateau. Perhaps watching the Shrine of Resurrection for signs of life?

Further up the stairs and I reach a bedroom. know it is a bedroom, because there is a bed. However, there isn’t anything else in here except papers and books. Could belong to either of them. Just a little further up and I’m at the top. There’s a deck and another door, surrounded by what else but guardian parts. In fact, on the roof of a building is an entire decayed guardian, covered in moss.

Of course you haunt me even here.
I ignore the door for now - I’m climbing up that dead guardian first. It’s a little awkward, the angle of the roof over the walls makes it hard to find a way to climb up. I have to move around to the side of the building before I can find a decent spot Link can grip. Once I’m climbing up the actual guardian I can see my urge to ascend was the right one: there is a Korok hiding at the top of this building, the leaf cloud shimmering in the wind. I finish the climb and interact with the cloud, releasing another Korok, bringing my Korok Seed total to 37.

I hop back down to the deck and enter the door. It’s another bedroom! Messier than the last one, with a small desk at the center, and a book I can read. It’s Purah’s Diary, and as she told me downstairs, it contains the story of how she came to look like a child. It’s hard to nail down exact dates, but it seems to be at least a few years old, written over the course of 7 days. Purah was working on an anti-aging rune, believing that by making making everyone younger, they would have a strong enough defense for when Ganon inevitably returns again.

At first it seemed like it hadn’t worked, causing Purah to suddenly become fatigued and feverish, nearly passing out until the next day. Turns out she did get the rune working, at first appearing to go from age 120 (holy crap how old do Sheikah get How old is Impa?!) to her 50s on day 2. And then to her 30s by day 3. Apparently that was around the age Purah was when she first began her research into the Great Calamity, and when she first began working on expanding the functionality of the Sheikah Slate and it’s runes, preparing them for Link’s awakening (heh) from the Slumber of Restoration.

...But it didn’t stop there. On day 4 she hit her 20s. Day 5 her teens. And then finally by day 6, she looked like she was 6 years old, where she seems to have remained. And it wasn’t just her looks that were affected, her emotional state also seems to match her age, and of course, she gets to deal with all those pesky hormones again. Poor girl.

It's only weird to be doing this if you forget she's not
really a little girl.
There are some other interesting details here too. For one, Purah seems to have created a lot of the Sheikah Slate upgrades herself, and she kept working until the blue flame went out. There were a couple of attempts at getting it relit, but between rain and people in the village, they ran into problems. Also, Link was apparently the youngest knight ever to be appointed to the Imperial Guard. Purah seems to have been rather protective of Link. I guess they would have been around the same age at the time of the Calamity. Wait how old is Impa exactly!?

That’s all there is to do here, so let’s take a picture of that sunshroom now. I head back down the stairs, this time going around to the back of the lab. I spot it, an orange mushroom, against the back wall. I pull out my new Camera rune and snap a quick picture. After saving it, I see the slot for Sunshroom in the Hyrule Compendium is now filled in with the photo I took. Nifty. The quest is updated, now directing me back to Symin.

I head back inside and talk to Symin, who asks to see my slate. He sees that I took the picture, and now tells me that I can go into the compendium and tune the Sheikah Sensor to it, allowing me to track sunshrooms, or anything else I take pictures of. I flip through the pages of the compendium, only having filled in the one item it is totally empty. I can see sections for animals, monsters, equipment, and treasure.

My completionist ass is torn between loving that I get to fill this out to hating that I have to fill this out.
I both love and hate you for this, Symin.

Quest isn’t done yet though, Symin would like me to retrieve Three Sunshrooms for him. I grabbed the one I took a picture of outside already, so that’s one down. He tells me I should be able to find more in Restam Forest, which thankfully is right below the lab to the north. I go ahead and tune the Sheikah Sensor to sunshrooms, though I doubt I will have many problems. Brb, Symin.

I head out the front door this time, walking in the direction of the farm and Restam Forest, which lie just beyond the cliffs leading up to the lab. I float down on my paraglider, landing in the center of the forest I had just been hunting deer in earlier. The sensor immediately picks up on nearby sunshrooms. Though to be perfectly honest, there are enough mushrooms and other ingredients in the forest that it’s a little useless. Every tree seems to have something at its base. I very quickly locate the two sunshrooms needed, and turn off the sensor.

Welp, don’t need anything else so after I gather a few more ingredients, I start the walk back to the lab. As I walk along the edge of lake Sumac, I can see some bugs hopping around the grass. Oh crap, that’s right. I still need to find a few more grasshoppers for Manny!

This would be handier if I remembered to use it.
I swap into my stealth outfit, and carefully approach the grasshopper. But rather then catch it, I pull out my Camera rune: This way I can find the remaining 3 I need, ha. It takes me a few minutes of wandering around the grass plains around the farm, but I soon have the bugs needed. Woo! Okay, I float down the cliffside, landing in front of Manny and handing over my grasshoppers. He thought I was just messing with him. Well no, *I’m* not messing with you, dude, but… What’s that? You wanna give me a Silver Rupee? Nope, I didn’t say anything.

With that done, I start the long trek back up the mountainside to the tech lab and Symin.

Then I remember I can fast travel there now.

Heart Containers: 5
Shrines Completed: 11
Koroks Found: 37
Bombs and Sensor: Upgraded
Sunshrooms and Grasshoppers: Located
Purah & Impa: Apparently Fucking Ancient

No comments:

Post a Comment