Monday, April 16, 2018

The Temple May Protect You From the Rain but Not Me, Buddy

After killing the Stalnox, I make sure to find where it’s body died to collect my loot. For being stuck in a skeleton these are pretty nice. By far the nicest is the Thunderblade, matching the Flameblade I got just down the river from here. Once I’m done I return to my horse, just as the sun is rising. We make our way back to the stable where I dismount. Time to finish cleaning up loose threads I think. I leave Fabio at the stable before fast traveling back to where this all began.

Shrine of Resurrection

Things look a bit different now that the lights are on. Much less spooky. I walk back into the first room where I was asleep, expecting nothing, but seeing a distinct Korok-shimmer coming from inside the...coffin. How long have you been here little guy? I collect my seed from the weird little guy, floating in my former tomb.

Did this dude just move into my old place?
I exit the shrine and quickly get to work, backtracking to the places I’ve been previously and checking every nook and cranny for anything I may have missed. My first stop is the Temple of Time.

I make my way through the ruins again, killing bokoblins left and right and checking for anything I missed the first time around. Pleased to say it actually seems like I was pretty thorough! I explore more of the open land around the edges of the temple, though I don't find much beyond insects and flowers.

As I reached the top of the temple, I see something I missed the first time around that would have been pretty useful - a ladder to the roof. How the hell did I miss this the first time? I don’t have much time to contemplate before the weather changes, and it begins to rain. After I hear the first crack of thunder, I raced inside of the building to take shelter, unequipping any metal equipment I had on me.

I could probably just fast travel to one of the other shrines on the plateau, but eh, I wasn’t really in a rush, so I just hunkered down for a bit. Shortly after I hid inside the building, I hear another loud crack of thunder, this one happening just outside the main temple doors. I pan the camera over and watch as a bokoblin I had previously ignored ran inside the temple himself, taking refuge from the storm. I stood there and watched as he remained posted by the door, looking out for when it was safe to exit again.

Even evil fears electrocution.
That is...just so amazing. I’m not saying the AI is super advanced in this game, but the way the NPCs can interact with the environment is astounding. I stand there in solidarity with my new rain-buddy, as we waited to be able to continue our respective travels…

...enh, I’m bored. Let’s kill him.

When the thunder dies down and I am a couple of bokoblin teeth richer, I leave the temple out the back. The Woodcutter’s House is pretty much in a dead end area, so I can start there and fan out to the rest of the plateau. Getting there isn’t any trouble. For the most part, I avoid bokoblins I’ve previously killed, not worth wasting the weapons when I’ve already explored the area. I gather up all the ingredients I find along the way too.

Woodcutter's House

The cabin is just like I remembered leaving it. There are apples and spicy peppers on the shelves again, and stamella shrooms on the outside. The journal hasn’t been updated since the last time, and I see no sign of the king’s ghost here now. Kinda lonely again. I miss Fabio.

I exit the cabin and move towards the large trees. I probably want to cross the cliff one more time just to be sure I didn’t miss anything. I just remember being so annoyed that I couldn’t get to the Shrine at the top of the cliff from here. That shrine seems like it’s not really in a good place in general there’s no obvious path to it from the mountains…

I hate everything.
Wait. What. WHAT.

What. The hell. Is THAT?!

There, carved into the cliffside, going all the way up, are a series of platforms. Platforms that are all a fairly short, easily climbable distance from each other. Platforms that are not just one of the ways I could have reached the shrine, but from all appearances is the intended way to reach the shrine.

What the fuck else in this game have I completely missed?

A few chests and a Korok, apparently. From the cabin, I make my way around the Great Plateau, this time exploring all the nooks and crannies I can find. I do my best to avoid enemies, as they don’t really have anything I need anymore. I especially try to avoid those laser shooting rusted assholes in the Eastern Abbey. I tried shooting one with an arrow and it didn’t even make a dent. No thank you.

Eventually, I am making my way back down from Mount Hylia, circling around the cliffs to the Forest of Spirits again. I can see the familiar skull-shaped rock of one of the forests’ goblin camps. I could probably just float down from here really…buuuut wait. I see some other outcroppings along the cliffside, not connected to the path. Places that require a paraglider to float to!

The cube puzzles are pretty cool at least.
I jump from the cliff, but don’t go far - the main cliff I am aiming for is below me. As I get closer I can make out some small structures on it - looks like a Korok cube puzzle! It’s pretty straightforward, requiring very little manipulation with my Magnesis rune. The cube slides into place and with a pop, I have one more Korok seed. Once I’m done here, I float gently down to the ground of the forest below, far from any prying 'blin eyes.

Forest of Spirits

It’s time to go talus hunting. I double check that I have an adequate cache of weapons and food beforehand, and set out for the forest. I skirt by the camps of bokoblins I pass on the way, not wanting to waste any of my weapons on them. I’m gonna need 'em for the big guy.

I approach the clearing from the south, seeing the mound of rocks at the center that make up the Talus’s body. He’s asleep, but once I get close enough he won’t be. Unlike my giant skeleton friend. I double check my weapons - a sword and bow of decent strength - and move towards him. He’s got some mushroom growing around and on him, and as the ground begins to rumble I scoop up a few to eat later. Might need them.

Protip: Always aim for the thing that sticks out.
The boss music starts as soon as the rumbing does. As I dash away from the boulders as they pry themselves from the ground, the Talus’s health bar displays on the screen. Let’s do this.

I circle around him as he flings his arms at me, looking for an opening. I find one fast - turns out throwing your arms means you have to then make yourself new arms. As the Stone Talus slams his body down into the ground, intent on pulling back up more boulders to throw at me, I take note of the black rock on it’s shoulder once more. After another bout of arm-chucking, I use my bow to strike it with an arrow.

He did not like that at all. In a daze, he collapses to the ground, unmoving. I think I found my weak spot. I shoot it with another couple of arrows before he pulls himself off the ground, ready to attack again. Looking at his health bar, it doesn’t seem like I did all that much damage. Going to need a different strategy.
Blowing things up is also a safe bet

My first thought is to try Remote Bombs. They blow up rocks, he is made of rocks, that should do some damage, right? It half works - I do see that I’m able to damage him, and the explosions even blow his arms off. It’s still kinda slow and frankly, dangerous - I have to run close enough to throw the bomb near enough to hurt him. I’m gonna need to find a way to hit his weak spot more directly.

Ultimately it is a combination of the two techniques that cinchest the battle for me. Circling around him, I force the Talus to somewhat give chase to me, dropping remote bombs behind me as I go and blowing off one of his arms when he stumbles over one. Then while he is reforming them, I shoot the weak spot on his back.

As he stumbles and falls, I make a break for it - I climb right up the side of him. After I pull myself up I pull out my sword and wail on the weak spot, over and over. I can see that I am doing significantly more damage to his health bar now. I manage to pull off a few combos with my sword before he picks himself back off and I am forced back to the ground.

I'M RIIIIIIIICH (again)
The Talus continues the battle, following the same attack pattern. He doesn't learn from his mistakes. It takes another two rounds, and I break one of my weapons, but I finally manage to best him. As my weapon makes its final strike, the boss music reaches a crescendo and his boulder-body explodes into a shower of precious stones. I’m riiiiiiiiich! Again!

I happily collect my winnings, which I guess are also his corpse. I wonder if bosses also respawn after a Blood Moon? Something to come back and investigate. And then exploit.

With the defeat of the big scary rock monster, I have accomplished everything I can recall needing to on my return trip here. I scour the forest and the surrounding areas one final time before making my way back towards Dueling Peaks. Instead of fast traveling, I decide to take the scenic route and make sure the path I’ve traveled so far has also been thoroughly explored.

I warp up to the Sheikah tower to make my leap - I wanna see if I can land in that same hut I did the first time. Dawn is just starting to break as I float over the plateau’s edge. I can see the bokoblins and moblins below me starting to wake up. I can see a giant yellow dragon floating across the southern sky…
I can't even think of something funny to say here.
(or ever. BURN!)

Wait what?

Holy shit. Holy shit. What the everloving fuck is THAT thing. It’s gorgeous. A long serpentine dragon, weaving through the clouds over Lake Hylia. His hide seems to be made of a bright, electric yellow. I’m nowhere near him, wouldn’t know how to begin finding him. And then, just as suddenly as he appeared, he vanished, out of my site to wherever he slumbers during the day. If my skeleton friends have been any indicator, living and previously-living things in these parts definitely follow a diurnal cycle.

Oh god I hope that doesn’t mean its a zombie dragon.

Heart Containers: 5
Shrines Completed: 8
Koroks Found: 22
Rock Monster: Rubble
Gemstone Shower: Taken
Dragon Discovered: YES

No comments:

Post a Comment